I came to know about Gautama Buddha when I was in 6th standard. There was a chapter about Gautama Buddha in our history book. While reading their story, I thought about why anyone would leave their wealth and luxury just to know the truth. They have a reason for that, and they wanted to experience inner peace.
These Buddha quotes hold power to change the way you think. I personally like Buddha quotes so much. If you need motivation and peace, then read these quotes. Here are 50 buddha quotes that will change the way you think and help you know the truths.
1) It is better to do nothing, than to do what is wrong. For whatever you do, you do to yourself.
2) There is pleasure, and there is bliss. Forgo the first to possess the second.
3) Inward calm cannot be maintained unless physical strength is constantly and intelligently replenished..
4) Words have the power to both destroy and heal. When words are both true and kind, they can change our world.
5) An idea that is developed and put into action is more important than an idea that exists only as an idea.
6) Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn’t learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn’t learn a little, at least we didn’t get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn’t die; so, let us all be thankful.
7) Be a lamp unto yourself.
8) Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
9) There has to be evil so that good can prove its purity above it.
10) Do not dwell in the past, do not dwell in the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.
11) Be where you are; otherwise you will miss your life.
12) The conquest of oneself is better than the conquest of all others.
13) To forgive others is to be good to yourself.
14) There is nothing more dreadful than the habit of doubt. Doubt separates people. It is a poison that disintegrates friendships and breaks up pleasant relations. It is a thorn that irritates and hurts; it is a sword that kills.
15) If a man’s mind becomes pure, his surroundings will also become pure.
16) One thought leads to heaven, one thought leads to hell.
17) Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.
18) Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed.
19) It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours.
20) Each morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most.
21) When one has the feeling of dislike for evil, when one feels tranquil, one finds pleasure in listening to good teachings; when one has these feelings and appreciates them, one is free of fear.
22) Neither fire nor wind, birth nor death can erase our good deeds.
23) Your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own thoughts, unguarded. But once mastered, no one can help you as much. Not even your father or your mother.
24) I don’t wish to be everything to everyone, but I would like to be something to someone.
25) The tongue like a sharp knife kills without drawing blood.
26) There is no fire like passion. No crime like hatred. No sorrow like separation. No sickness like hunger, and no joy like the joy of freedom.
27) The ignorant man is an ox. He grows in size, not in wisdom.
28) What we are today comes from our thoughts of yesterday, and our present thoughts build our life of tomorrow: Our life is the creation of our mind.
29) Our sorrows and wounds are healed only when we touch them with compassion.
30) Everything is based on mind, is led by mind, is fashioned by mind. If you speak and act with a polluted mind, suffering will follow you, as the wheels of the oxcart follow the footsteps of the ox. Everything is based on mind, is led by mind, is fashioned by mind. If you speak and act with a pure mind, happiness will follow you, as a shadow clings to a form.
31) Do not believe in anything simply because you’ve heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it
32) Good men and bad men differ radically. Bad men never appreciate kindness shown them, but wise men appreciate and are grateful. Wise men try to express their appreciation and gratitude by some return of kindness, not only to their benefactor, but to everyone else.
33) You can search throughout the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.
34) Anger will never disappear so long as thoughts of resentment are cherished in the mind. Anger will disappear just as soon as thoughts of resentment are forgotten.
35) Believe nothing, merely because you have been told it. Do not believe what your teacher tells you merely out of respect for the teacher. But whatsoever, after due examination and analysis, you find to be kind, conducive to the good, the benefit, the welfare of all beings that doctrine believe and cling to, and take it as your guide.
36) We are formed and molded by our thoughts. Those whose minds are shaped by selfless thoughts give joy when they speak or act. Joy follows them like a shadow that never leaves them.
37) Easy to do are things that are bad and harmful to oneself. But exceedingly difficult to do are things that are good and beneficial.
38 One is not low because of birth nor does birth make one holy. Deeds alone make one low, deeds alone make one holy.
39) Fashion your life as a garland of beautiful deeds.
40) Let a man avoid evil deeds as a man who loves life avoids poison.
41) An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind.
42) It is wrong to think that misfortunes come from the east or from the west; they originate within one’s own mind. Therefore, it is foolish to guard against misfortunes from the external world and leave the inner mind uncontrolled.
43) Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others. He who envies others does not obtain peace of mind.
44) To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.
45 Whatever words we utter should be chosen with care, for people will hear them and be influenced by them for good or ill.
46) The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly.
47) When it is impossible for anger to arise within you, you find no outside enemies anywhere.
48) Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule.
49) To conquer oneself is a greater victory than to conquer thousands in a battle.
50) Friendship is the only cure for hatred, the only guarantee of peace.
Thanks for reading all these quotes. We hope that you liked these buddha quotes. Please share your favorite Buddha quotes in the comment section below and don’t forget to share these quotes with your friends and followers.